Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Back to School Fever

so i realize that I haven't posted in a while, so I thought I would. After the excitement of the first half of summer, our life has quieted down. Yes, we have had fun, but just around here, no big travel plans. That being said, we have had some interesting things happen lately. First, we started the process of getting Ryan's car ready to go. The BYU job is almost done, and soon we will need both cars. But I had no idea how difficult it would be!! We had to get safety and emissions done, but since Ryan's car hadn't been driven in about a year, we got stuck on the emissions. We had to take it to the shop three times!! It wasn't that anything was wrong with the car, it just needed to run for longer. Talk about frustrating! But don't even get me started on the DMV-- that was a nightmare in itself. Although I must admit, Utah DMV definitely has a much more efficient DMV-- we didn't wait for more than 5 minutes for our number to be called. But Ryan's car is officially legal and registered, yipee!!
Our next adventure is not so lovely. Over the course of the summer I have gotten gradually more lazy, especially with dishes. Well, I finally paid for it. About a week ago, I saw a little cockroach skitter across the counter. I have never seen a cockroach before this, and while it wasn't the ugliest species of cockroaches, I still freaked!! You know those ladies in movies and cartoons where when they see a mouse they jump up on the table and scream and hold up their skirts? That's how I felt. I started crying. well, bawling to be more exact. I felt like a little kid when they get scared. Good thing I have such a hero for a husband though. We went to Wal-Mart and got roach motels, and Ryan spent the entire evening taking out everything under the sink and spraying every nook and cranny around the sink with Raid. I helped from a distance, only moving things when I could see completely around and under them before I moved it. However, we have not seen a roach since ( we didn't even come across any while Ryan was clearing out under the sink) so we are hoping and praying that they are gone for good. However, there is one benefit of this whole experience: it has completely cured me of my household-chores laziness. I now wash dishes as soon as I am done with them, and wipe down the stove and counters with a Lysol at least once a day. I hope I never, ever see a cockroach again in my life.
But in happier news, school is starting!!! Ryan is actually at his first day of school this very minute ( dang it, i should have taken a picture before he left). My school starts on Monday. And let me tell you, I am so stinkin' happy. My mom can attest as well. I have had so much time on my hands that I have moved back and forth on obsessions: from exercise to GRE studying to home-buying to having babies. But now that school is starting, I hope I just will not have time to worry about these future things, lol mostly the home-buying and babies.
However, I have one final story before I leave. Ryan and I were called to be Primary teachers about a month ago, for the 5-turning-6 year olds. And we have absolutely fallen in love with them. They are so funny, and personalities are already blithe (GRE word!!) and fancy-free!Some weeks have been more trying than others, especially when we seriously misjudged the time requirements and ended up with 15 minutes of class and we just bore our testimony about being kind. But we have gotten better, and learned how to work with all our children's personalities and attention spans. Lol last week, we had nine kids in our class- NINE!! As you can imagine, nine five-year olds were a handful, although better than these children. Luckily we were armed with coloring activities and interactive games to teach about keeping the laws of the land. We actually went over! O well, at least the kids were excited about it.
Well, with school starting, and graduate applications in the works, I suppose I will be posting a lot more. Please forgive me if parts are mostly my lunatic ravings about how hard this all is. I will try to keep them positive :)

No comments:

Post a Comment